Applying for Older Persons Housing
NCHA offers a variety of safe, secure and independent accommodation for older people in our sheltered housing schemes, including flats or bungalows suitable for single people or couples. Many of these homes have been built with access for wheelchair users in mind and have facilities and adaptations to meet the needs of people with health and mobility difficulties.
All schemes (except Vale View) and homes are linked to our SMaRT 24-hour emergency call centre to ensure safety, security and peace of mind.
Supported Housing for Older People refers to designated schemes that house people over the age of 55 with a medical need, or over the age of 60 regardless of medical need. Applicants should have a genuine need to require a Tunstall lifeline and the support of the Scheme Manager.
In the first instance you can send in an HWCS Application Form and someone will contact you to discuss your preferences about where you would like to live and which scheme would suit your needs best.
Vale View: Grange Road, Newark, Nottinghamshire
Steeple Leas: New Street, Grantham, Lincolnshire
Lilac Court: Barton Green, Clifton, Nottingham
Ben Mayo: Leroy Wallace Avenue, Radford, Nottingham
Marklew and New Close: Blidworth, Nottinghamshire
Muskham View: Mather Road, Newark, Nottinghamshire
Warwick Flats: Granby Drive, Bottesford, Nottinghamshire
Each Scheme has its own application process, each one is described below:
• Vale View (Newark) - Vacant properties will be advertised in the local paper. Applicants will be invited to look round the scheme and complete a HWCS Application Form and a needs assessment to ensure the project meets their needs. Applicants can also apply direct to the scheme.
• Steeple Leas (Grantham) - South Kesteven District Council (you need to be registered with Homelink, a choice based lettings scheme) can make nominations to this scheme as well as applicants coming from our main waiting list. Applicants need to complete a HWCS Application Form initially and then complete a needs assessment with the scheme.
• Lilac Court (Clifton, Nottingham) /Ben Mayo (Radford, Nottingham) /Marklew and New Close (Blidworth) /Muskham View (Newark) - All voids will be let from the Housing with Care and Support waiting list. Applicants will be given a HWCS Application Form to complete. A needs assessment will also be completed with the Scheme Manager.
• Warwick Flats (Bottesford) Only - All voids will be let from HWCS waiting list. When there is no waiting list every effort will be made to advertise the vacant properties and generate interest. Applicants will be given a HWCS Application Form to complete. A needs assessment will also be completed with the Scheme Manager.
Offers of accommodation will be made in line with the criteria for each scheme, and the lettings agreement that is in place whilst taking into account those in the highest need of requiring supported housing for older persons
Consideration will be given to the needs of each applicant, what the project can offer and the needs of existing tenants. The decision of whether the referral is suitable to the project and the service we provide will be decided using the eligibility criteria, completed application form, interview questionnaire, landlords references and information obtained from relevant agencies. Suitability will be decided using the following criteria:
• Would the applicant jeopardise safety of tenants or staff at the scheme and the surrounding community?
• All parties will be informed at the earliest opportunity of the outcome. An acceptance, rejection or waiting list letter to be sent to applicant on day of decision and a copy sent to referring agency if applicable.
• Applicants can also request a decision by phone, staff will contact at the earliest opportunity and confirm decision in writing.